Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer boredom and sunrise runs

I know I haven't written in awhile, but since its summer I now have a lot of time on my hands. Maybe too much. I'm working at Target which takes up some of my time, but its not very exciting or enjoyable. Normally when I have free time I like to read books. Well this summer I have already read 11 books and I'm not done yet. I also have been watching a ton of episodes of Psych with my brother and mom. We are slightly addicted.
I thought that with all this time on my hands this summer that I would be able to get back in shape and start eating healthier. Well the beginning of my summer was filled with a family vacation, graduation, and wedding. I really struggled to workout consistently and eat healthy food. Once things settled down though, I realized I was wasting all my time planning my healthy eating and workout routine and then not actually carrying through with it. It left me feeling frustrated and I was ready to make some changes.
 I read a book called Made to Crave. It was a great book that helped me put into perspective how my healthy eating habits are not just bad for my health, but that its also not glorifying to God. So I started to write down what I ate, my workout, and how I thought I did that day. I also started praying throughout the day when I was struggling to wake up to go run or if I really wanted some ice cream (which in my house is an every night sorta snack). I had never taken this approach before and it seems to be really helping. I still am struggling with my late night snacking and my sugar addiction, but I think its getting better.
I was really struggling with my motivation to run, or for that matter get my butt off the couch and do anything but read or watch tv. I realized that I didn't like running at the park in the morning because there were too many people (mainly old couples, which is kinda cute to see). The other route I usually run was just getting old. So I decided to try getting up earlier so that I could beat the elderly crowd at the park. So a couple of days ago I woke up at 5:30 and went for a run at the classy Azle park. Suprisingly there were a couple of people there, but it was a lot better than usual. It was wonderful because I got to see the sunrise for the first time in awhile. It was totally worth it. So I think from now on, on running days I'm gonna wake up bright and early and go on sunrise run.

No comments:

Post a Comment